Advertisement

Photo Deconstruction - Creating a Painterly Beauty Photo

Photo Deconstruction - Creating a Painterly Beauty Photo All this week I will be posting a Photo Deconstruction a day leading up to a live webinar and special announcement! To register for the free webinar on 10/15 visit:
-----

In this photo deconstruction I break down the making of a colorful painterly beauty image with an illustrative look. I began by being inspired by the painterly look created by makeup artist Yvonne Macinnis, and then decided what type of lighting would complement her creation.

First, I decided that a white background would help to create a stark canvas for the subject and that I would also lighten the skin (to almost white) to match the background. I lit the background with two small white umbrellas on either side for even illumination on a grey background.

Next, I lit the subject with a white beauty with a grid. The fill light (below) was a silver beauty dish and a blue gel. This blue gel would fill in the shadows on the face, and be a compliment to the yellow paint on the face (and match some of the blue paint).

Post-processing played a major role in the ‘illustrative’ and painterly look of the image. I drastically increased contrast and clarity, desaturated the skin tone, and saturated all of the paint colors of the face. These changes worked together to give a graphic and pop art look to the image.

What do you think? Is this something that you would try? Let me know in the comments!

Gear:
Canon 5DIV:
Canon 24-105mm at 55mm:
4 Profoto D2s:
Profoto White Beauty Dish:
Grid:
Profoto Silver Beauty Dish:
Profoto Small White Umbrella:
Rosco Creative Effects Kit:
CaptureOne:
Photoshop CC:
TetherTools Tether Cable:
TetherTools TetherBlock:

Creative Team:
Makeup Artist: Yvonne Macinnis
Hair: Mark Williamson
Model: Kristina Cocoli

----
View more image breakdowns here:

Website:
Instagram:
Facebook:
Twitter:
Education:

Learn to Master Studio Lighting:

Some of the links in this description contain affiliate links to partners.

Photo Deconstruction,Photo Inspiration,Photo Tutorial,How to Photography,Lindsay Adler,Photo Analysis,Behind the Scenes,BTS,creative lighting,canon 5d iv,Adorama,canon,tethertools,tetherblock,photography techniques,studio photography,studio lighting,rosco gels,gels,profoto d2,creative photography,gel photography,creative gels,savage seamless,beauty dish,beauty dish with grid,makeup,face paint,photo illustration,painterly effect,beauty photography,

Post a Comment

0 Comments